Today is my day on the Typecast of Characters Blog Tour hosted by Sheri Cifaldi-Morrill of Whole Circle Studio! Today’s instalment is brought to you by the letter “R”.
Typecast is an alphabet of English paper pieced uppercase letters. Each finishes at 6” x 9”.
I had the privilege of meeting Sheri at QuiltCon in Nashville. Sheri is a graphic designer by training and worked extensively in the museum exhibit design field for a very long time. Her experience and passion for type shows in Typecast.
The letters are made of modular pieces that are used throughout the alphabet. And careful consideration has been paid attention to in the kerning of the letters (spacing between the characters)! This is something that type designers live for…
I chose “R” for no real reason other than I like the letter form. The combination of the curve and the diagonal add movement. It’s not symmetrical along any axis which adds to the dynamism of the shape.
I used my own fabric design printed on Spoonflower fabric. The subtle difference between the lighter parts of the fabric and the white of the “R” make you look a little more carefully at what is going on, both in the shape as well as the fabric.
The Typecast pattern guide and paper packs are available for purchase and all the details can be found at in the Whole Circle Studio shop!
There is lots of inspiration on the blog tour, so check out all the posts from A through Z!
TYPECAST OF CHARACTERS BLOG TOUR
- Wednesday, March 27: Tour Introduction by Whole Circle Studio
- Monday, April 1 — A: Kate Brennan of Aurifil
- Tuesday, April 2 — B: Mathew Bourdreaux of Mister Domestic
- Wednesday, April 3 — C: Tara Curtis of Wefty Needle
- Thursday, April 4— D: Leah Day of Free Motion Quilting Project
- Friday, April 5 — Week 1 Wrap Up featuring A-D and GIVEAWAY at Whole Circle Studio
- Monday, April 8 — E: Jess Finn of Paper Pieces
- Tuesday, April 9 — F: Sylvia Schaefer of Flying Parrot Quilts
- Wednesday, April 10 — G: Giuseppe Ribaudo of Giucy Giuce
- Thursday, April 11— H: Hilary Jordan of By Hilary Jordan
- Friday, April 12 — Week 2 Wrap Up featuring E-H and GIVEAWAY at Whole Circle Studio
- Monday, April 15 — I: Kim Soper of Leland Ave Studios
- Tuesday, April 16 — J: Yvonne Fuchs of Quilting Jetgirl
- Wednesday, April 17 — K: Karen O’Connor of Lady K Quilts
- Thursday, April 18 — L: Kristy Daum of St. Louis Folk Victorian
- Friday, April 19 — Week 3 Wrap Up featuring I-L and GIVEAWAY at Whole Circle Studio
- Monday, April 22 — M: Molli Sparkles of Molli Sparkles
- Tuesday, April 23 — N: Nicole Daksiewicz of Modern Handcraft
- Wednesday, April 24 — O: Scott Hansen of Blue Nickel Studios
- Thursday, April 25 — P: Pat Sloan of Pat Sloan
- Friday, April 26 — Week 4 Wrap Up featuring M-P and GIVEAWAY at Whole Circle Studio
- Monday, April 29 — Q: Joanna Marsh of Kustom Kwilts
- Monday, April 29 — Q: Lindsay Széchényi of Lindsay Széchényi (and Patchwork Threads)
- Tuesday, April 30 — R: Andrea Tsang Jackson of 3rd Story Workshop
- Wednesday, May 1 — S: Sarah Thomas of Sariditty
- Thursday, May 2 — T: Rachel Rossi of Rachel Rossi
- Friday, May 3— Week 4 Wrap Up featuring Q-T and GIVEAWAY at Whole Circle Studio
- Monday, May 6 — U: Kitty Wilkin of Night Quilter
- Tuesday, May 7 — V: Jenn McMillan of Fabric, Ink
- Wednesday, May 8 — W: Jenny Meeker of Bobbin Roulette Studio
- Thursday, May 9 — X: Stephanie Kendron of Modern Sewciety
- Friday, May 10 — Week 5 Wrap Up featuring U-X and GIVEAWAY at Whole Circle Studio
- Monday, May 13 — Y: Debby Brown of Debby Brown Quilts
- Tuesday, May 14 — Z: Nisha Bouri and Kim Martucci of Brimfield Awakening
- Wednesday, May 15 — Week 6 Wrap Up featuring Y-Z, Tour closeout and GIVEAWAY at Whole Circle Studio